July 17, 2013

Wednesday Thoughts

The best thing to do when you're stressing about the amount of money you just spent, is to give some money to someone who needs it.

Yesterday I began my "Big White Wall" project. Where I have a wall of my very own to draw and paint and write anything I want to, for an entire year.

Once again, a Jerry Spinelli book grabbed my attention and shouted "I'm your favorite author, remember? How could you get distracted by some dumb new york times best seller, when there is Jerry Spinelli to be read?!"

Back to the first sentence- on Monday I was totally stressing about money, because I don't have a job but I have to pay for gas, and lately I've had lots of places to drive and birthday presents to buy. I wasn't even buying anything for myself! But I was stressing nonetheless. But as I was leaving Walmart two things happened: One, as I got to the car I realized I had accidentally brought out an unpaid for package of pens, it only cost like a dollar, and I could have used it in my friends present, but I had decided to save the dollar it cost. This was my first "accidentally bring an unpaid for object to the car and choose to turn around and take it back into the store" experience. All for a dollar worth of pens. But I have heard enough of those experiences that I didn't even have to think, I just turned around and walked back. Second, as I was driving out of the parking lot there was a little family sitting on the grass asking for money. A mom, a dad, and three little kids. I'm used to men standing around that area with their cardboard signs, but I have never seen a whole family before. All there's left to say is, I gave them the dollar that I could have spent on those pens. Its all the cash I had, and it was close to nothing to give. But it was something, and lately I have been taught the power of doing something. The reason I am sharing all of this is because of what came of it yesterday. I had to stop to put gas in my car, and as I got out my best friend handed me a twenty dollar bill and wouldn't let me give it back. He just said "Emma, put gas in your car." And I still don't feel like I thanked him enough. I had enough for a gallon or two, it would have been enough for the day. And it's my fault I don't have a job and loads of cash to pay for gas. But he just relieved the stress. And it wasn't until today that I thought about Monday's experience, and Tuesday's, at the same time.

Second sentence- The first thing I wrote on my wall was two rules.


Third sentence- I am currently reading Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. I'm determined to read all of his books, no matter what age they were written for.

Happy Wednesday. (I was saying that to myself, so I remember.)

No comments:

Post a Comment