November 23, 2013

Roman Holiday

Audrey's
Audrey's
Audrey's
Audrey's in Rome in 1959
My my my, where do I begin? This was my favorite part of the entire trip. I got to walk to exact streets that my hero Audrey Hepburn did when she starred in Roman Holiday (a prime movie, do watch it.) I sat literally EXACTLY where she sat on the Spanish steps eating gelato. Okay, I need to start at the beginning. Just click on the "Audrey's" links to see the original picture.

Yes that is the real life apartment area. Getting to that was probably the most rebellious thing I've ever done, because this Italian lady was really mad and wanted us to leave, so my mom was all like "we don't speak Italian, sorry!" while I rushed up the stairs and took deep breaths and let the place I was standing in just hit me.

Then we posed on the Spanish steps. Cool story about that-- so after we took a couple of pictures I decided I was going to sit on every single corner step in that place just to make sure I sat in the same spot Audrey did. So in order to make it faster we brought up the picture from the movie to figure out which spot she really sat in, and it turned out I had been sitting there the entire time! My soul just knew I bet.

Next was the Trevi Fountain, where Gregory Peck tries to steal a little girl's camera. When you throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain you are wishing that one day you will make it back to Rome. That's not in Roman Holiday, but I certainly would love to return to Rome.

I really loved the Mouth of Truth. They say if you are dishonest and you stick your hand in the Mouth of Truth, it will be bitten off. I still have both hands, don't worry. That part in the movie is adorable.

Finally Gregory takes Audrey on a tour of the Colosseum. 

It was amazing. Go watch Roman Holiday, no matter how many times you may have seen it before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment